YMCA Transitions to Support Pandemic Response Effortsby Kristi Potts on 03/17/20
YMCA Transitions to Support Pandemic Response Efforts
Dear YMCA members,
At the Y, the health and safety of the communities we serve has always been our top priority. After discussion with the Montgomery County Emergency Management and the YMCA’s board of directors, the Montgomery County Family YMCA is implementing the following measures:
• All group fitness classes, water and land, and personal training sessions are suspended until March 31st.
• All scheduled group recreational activities are canceled through March 31st. (Wednesday evening Men’s Basketball League, Pickleball, Tennis League)
• Youth sports programming is suspended until March 31st. This includes youth sports, swim lessons, tumbling, taekwondo, etc.
• Facility rentals and use of facility for meetings, etc.
• The Y supports the recommendation of the Iowa Department of Public Health that individuals 60 years of age and older with underlying health conditions should stay at home and avoid situations of potential exposure.
• Staff and members are encouraged to:
o Not come to the Y if sick.
o Thoroughly clean all machines and equipment before and after each use, using spray and cleaning cloths as provided.
o Practice hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette measures:
? Wash hands frequently with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds and use hand sanitizer before and after working out.
? Cough or sneeze into a tissue and discard tissue after use.
? Avoid contact such as handshakes or high fives.
? Maintain space between yourself and others while using equipment.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank our members for their patience and understanding. We believe this is the socially responsible thing to do during this national health emergency.
The leadership team at your Y is monitoring all local, state, and national developments around the clock. We will provide you with regular updates and are prepared to take additional steps as needed to safeguard the health and wellbeing of our members, staff and communities.
We are in unprecedented times, calling on unprecedented response on the part of all individuals and organizations in the community. Please stick with us as we work through this challenge, so we are here for you better and stronger than ever once this crisis has passed.
John Blomstedt, Executive Director, & Mark Jackson, YMCA Board President